Spring is officially here which means that Mother’s Day is just around the corner! For churches, it’s time for you to gear up and plan a church Mother’s Day service that will be so much more than a simple acknowledgment of mothers. Moms of all types work selflessly day in and day out to care for their families and those around them, and this is a chance as a church to give back just a little bit.
Plus, in case you haven’t noticed, being a mom is not a cake walk. On any given Sunday morning a mom may be changing the baby’s diaper (again), wiping some sort of sticky substance (don’t ask) off of the toddler’s hands, dealing with the annoyed teenager, and helping her husband to iron his “church pants”.
So, use this opportunity to go out of your way to plan church Mother’s Day activities that truly bless the moms in your church.
Here Are 15 Church Ideas For Mother’s Day To Get You Started:
Keep in mind that nobody knows your church quite like you do. As you plan for your church Mother’s Day service and activities, plan specific things that will bless the women in your congregation.
1. Interview a mom or two during your church Mother’s Day service and have them share both the good and the hard things about being a mom.
2. Show a video during your church Mother’s Day service of kids telling reasons they love their moms.
3. Give church Mother’s Day gifts for all mothers in your congregation. A few examples are:
- Their favorite flowers
- Giftcards to a local coffee shop or restaurant
- A new journal
- Books (we recommend Missional Motherhood by Gloria Furman)
- A cute coffee mug or tumbler
- Bath bombs
- A cookbook
4. Read a church Mother’s Day poem during your service (this is a great one)
5. Host a mother’s spa day church event where you provide chair massages, manicure stations, and giveaway bath salts.
6. Have a church Mother’s Day luncheon or breakfast where the moms don’t have to cook or clean at all!
7. Take up a special Mother’s Day offering that goes towards a ministry that supports moms and children in your community.
8. Create a chocolate or candy buffet that all moms can stop by!
9. Bring in local food trucks that all of the moms can eat at for free (trust us, no mom wants to cook on Mother’s Day!)
10. Design a Mother’s Day photo backdrop and take pictures of families together on Mother’s Day. Be sure to collect email addresses and email the photos out after the church Mother’s Day service.
11. In your kids’ Sunday school classes, have teachers create a church Mother’s Day craft for children that they can give to their moms.
12. Hire a barista to make specialty coffee (lattes, mochas, etc.) for all moms.
13. During your service, sing (or have someone sing) a Mother’s Day song for church,
14. Offer free childcare on Sunday afternoon or evening and encourage the men to take their wives out on a Mother’s Day date.
15. Promote your church mother’s day theme in your services, in your printed material, and on your church website.
Something To Remember
Even though Mother’s Day should be a day of celebration, and you should go out of your way to bless moms during your church Mother’s Day service, it’s also a hard day for many.
Mother’s Day can be a hard day for people who have recently lost their mom, are having fertility issues, have experienced miscarriage, or don’t have a good relationship with their mom. Don’t ignore this, instead acknowledge the hurts and be ready to minister to those who need it.
It may also be a wise idea to celebrate all women in your church in general, and not just single out the mothers. After all, women do tend to care for those around them even if they don’t have the official title of “mom”.
It’s important to let both church members and visitors alike that you will be celebrating Mother’s Day at your church. One of the best ways to get the word out is through your church website!
Find out just how easy it is to create a beautiful church website with Mother’s Day themes with Clover. Clover websites make it easy to reflect your church’s mission and vision with themes that are sure to reflect who you are as a church. Try a free demo here.